Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
I have had some clients complaining about bluegill feeding and also not biting. We get this from time to time but these are both good clients where this is not normal. Only similarities both way west of me MS/la line and Shreveport,LA.

So can you guys chime in on bluegill feeding thus far this year. Especially if near these areas and had trouble.

Could be cold snaps, heavy rains, spawning, but for months no feeding it is hard to explain to clients. Thanks for help and howdy been quite awhile since on the forum since the spring electrofishing season started.

Had the same thing happen to me last summer with yellow perch. The fish were there but went off pellets for an extented period of time. It was almost as if their was something wrong with the feed. It wasn't high water temps as the previous summer that was much hotter they kept on feeding albeit slower.

I have seen this too and wondered if they kind of get to good of feed. These few summer fish that we do catch when they seem to have just dispersed from the pond and go off the feed have a very big fat layer in them. I wondered that if they are getting fed to well and when it gos hot they back off the feed because they really do not need it. When its warmer they do not need to use as much energy.

Just my farmer talk from farming pigs and cows. We would see that they would back off the feed in the summer but winter would use more just to keep warm and the rest to fatten up.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.