I spoke yesterday with Randy Lang of IDNR and during our conversation was told the VHS provisions in Great Lakes States is being heavily scaled back, but that no final rule has been totally decided for the state level.

I also spent a while this week on the phone with Dr Frank, State appointed Vet and GOD for Michigan agriculture . Michigan has many, unpublished, departmental entry rules on fish entering the state. One of which is that all fish be currently tested, within the past 30 days, using AFS Blue Book guidelines for VHSv (and other "emergency" pathogens that the state Vet can declare at any time), and documentation must be submitted with destinations locations and qty's along with current health cert's for a pre-entry permit. You ALSO need an "interstate transport" health certification...a permit that seems not to exist This is just one of many reasons fish farms are avoiding Michigan entry....the rules change on a whim and are kept out of the public eye. Dr Frank also told me to call back in a couple weeks as all the rules will likely change.

I have no issue doing any health or VHSv tests, but since the tests are species specific, protocol and guideline do not exist for non susceptible species...therefor, it is impossible to comply with. Non susceptible fish can be given a test, but it is not technically in compliance with the AFS Blue Book protocals.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/17/14 08:34 PM.