Another Update as Promised -- In June of 2005, after further experiments with minimum numbers of grains of gypsum per gallon that would clear the water and my calculations for volume of water in my pond, I spread about 2500 lbs of Gypsum using the boat and shovel method. The results were great. Within a week, my visibility went from just under 6" to about 24" with a gray-green cast to the water as opposed to the "weak coffee" color. It was great watching the fish attack the feed and be able to see what was doing the feeding for once. Now for the bad news. The clarity did not hold. We went through a minor drought which exposed about 24" of clay around the perimeter during the summer. I waited until now to post thinking that after the level was restored and the catfish were less active, it might settle again. It has not. I now suspect that I may have had two issues if that is possible. One, chemically suspended clay particles along with some physically suspended clay particles. In retrospect, my test jars would never clear, but I would notice some sediment in the bottom after a couple weeks. I suspect the new physically suspended clay may have come from a combination of exposed shoreline (since the water had been so turbid, there was no shallow vegetation) and the higher rates of activity others have referenced in catfish ponds during the summer months. I am now in a re-grouping phase wondering what my next plan of attack should be. It appears to me that the reintroduction of the clay has resulted in additional chemically suspended clay since the water level is now such that there is no exposed shoreline and I would assume the catfish are less active. I have measured a PH of 8.5 and have been told water hardness is high in this area. I am considering Alum, but still reading prior posts on that method. I have a larger pond that I do not plan to put catfish in that is currently filling and it is currently quite muddy too. I know I will need to solve this problem before I stock this new pond with Bass (Native Bluegill and Fatheads stocked last week). I hope this information will be helpful to others and welcome any additional suggestions.

2ac, 1ac, .5ac, .3ac,