Originally Posted By: Grundulis
In the autumn I read news that predicted "the hardest winter in 100 years" or so. Seems like you guys got that "the winter of all winters" but at least my country got almost no winter at all.
There was 3 week period with black frost and no snow. That's all. Ice managed to get approx. 40 cm thick only because of lack of snow but it has gone now. The first real snow appeared about 2 weeks ago and almost everything melted.
I'd predict that only some unlucky people will have fish kills this year. No serious winter fishing too.

Yeah, but I live quite far from you...

Interestingly it's not uncommon for Europe to be the exact opposite of us due to the configuration of the circumpolar jet stream, and whatever temps are in the Pacific and Atlantic for the winter. I know Europe had one of the coldest snowiest winters on record a few years ago while we had a mild winter.

Looks like we will bounce back and forth on this in the next few winters at least up here in the Midwest USA. If El Nino comes back as predicted next winter here will be mild. However some meteorologists say it may not or there is only a 50/50 chance.

We here in the Midwest USA are supposed to be below normal in temps for the next two to three months, as the northern eastern Pacific is still well above normal in temps, pushing polar south into the center of our continent. My goodness look at the forecast for Alaska for the next three months! It was colder and snowier in Chicago this winter than Alaska!

One thing that concerns me on the above map is the big disparity between the below normal and above normal temps. For me that spells violent weather including tornadoes. OTH the below normal temps up here could put a damper on bad weather if the two don't collide. All depends on the storm tracks.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/26/14 09:27 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.