There is a home owner association near me that have two ponds one 7.5 ac and another 16 ac. Both use cement spillways for water release into Maumee River. No overflow piping.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Bowling-Green-OH/pmf,pf_pt/house_type/23789_rid/days_sort/41.443768,-83.777774,41.439385,-83.784458_rect/16_zm/

I think a well designed spillway with large riprap basin that released excess water down your hill would work for a 2 acre pond. Wouldn't a bouder lined spillway be acceptable instead of a cement lined one work? The pond is only 2 acres for God's sake. We are not talking about a high water volume lake situation with a huge 1000acre watershed here.

Since you are an engineer and for this simple project you should be able to design something yourself and get it approved - stamped by the required engineer (PE) whoever that may be in your region. You should be able to do most all the required calculations and design. This is not rocket science. Do some research on spillways and spillway design and see if it won't work for your situation. Often in larger water bodies there are two spillways one major to handle 98% of the water flows and one emergency for the 100yr flood event.

I do have a contact for a soil scientist that used to 'service' NW Ohio. Now retired and consulting. I can get you his contact info if you want it. He may know of professionals to provide assistance.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/25/14 04:48 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management