I have planted several thousand trees over the years around my pond area and the dear will strip the bark until the trees are three to four inches in dia. For this reason and others my survival rate wasn't good. I saved a lot of trees by putting some of the hanging bark back in place and tapping it all with duck tape. Anyway what I am getting at is as long as there are young trees the dear will feed on bark. And they have fed on the green needled limbs of the pines, spruces and ceders.

A while back when the snow was melted for a short period I was walking my woods and saw a group of Robbins flipping leaves up in the air and eating whatever was underneath. I never saw that before in my life.

If you live near a woods you can draw in and feed woodpeckers in large numbers. My woodpeckers wait in line to feed. Take a round log about six inches in diameter and a foot long, drill 1 1/2" to 2" holes part way into it and stuff the holes with animal grease or half animal and vegetable grease will work but not all vegetable grease. Then hang it on a tree.