What did it help?

Juvenal fish recreation. Probably not an important criteria or goal for most pondmeisters.

I only had aeration on for about 3 weeks last fall as I put a temporary diffuser in and temporary pump setup to see what would happen.

When I would boat out to the column of bubbles and water that were coming up from the bottom, there would be a fountain of fish mixed in with the bubbles. Small 2" long BG and FHM bubbling up with the bubbles and water. I don't know what level they were hopping on for the ride, but it appeared they would enter the column and ride it up to the top. There the water would spit them out and most would disappear deeper or a few would leisurely mosey over to the float I had attached to the diffuser and rest under it for a short time.

It reminded me of kids riding on a carnival ride. A continuous flow of small fish coming up from the depths to the top. I visualized them hopping on for the ride over and over, but do not know that for sure. As I paddled too close they would stop for a short while, but once my boat stabilized against the anchor rope (flow from the aeration constantly pushed the boat away from the water column) in a few seconds they would be there again, riding the carnival ride.

Was quite a site to watch. Something I had not expected to see. Submerged cedar tree cover was nearby.

LMB and CC fingerlings had just recently been introduced so no large predators. 6" BG biggest thing in pond at that time.

Last edited by snrub; 03/06/14 11:53 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine