Originally Posted By: Paul Thomann
Thanks, it took a long time to get it right where the ditches and basins would handle the flow in a heavy rain.

I agree with you I think there was a layer of green and brownish water in the lower third of the pond that was disturbed by the aeration. From my research the aeration should change the chemistry of the pond by distributing oxygen throughout the layers. Not being a scientist I am not sure I am going in the right direction. Should I increase aeration to 24/7 and let the oxygen do its thing and will this have a positive effect over time? Do I have enough aeration?
My instincts also tell me that the addition of algaecide and alum, while having a short term positive effect may have created a better environment for the planktonic algae to over mass produce.
I would like to get the water to a state where the water chemistry remains stable and clarity to perhaps 24". Not sure if that is possible.
There are a lot of fish in the pond. I stocked it about 2 years ago and there were already fish in it. I have never had a fish kill so that is good.
Maybe I am obsessive. This pond thing can be such a diversion. When the spring comes the basins fill with plants. The frogs are so loud they hurt the ears. It turns into this wonderful ecosystem full of all sorts of life. I find it fascinating.

Thank you for your response,
Paul

Beautiful place and ingenious management of sediment flow.

Have you made or purchased a Secchi disk to make a standardized measurement of water quality? If you do that, then one of the experts here (I am not one of them) can help you better.