I am sure I am not alone with this but I am quite surprised still the same. With three air disks running 24/7 in about 8 foot of water the open water hole has frozen completely shut at least four times in the past two months. Forntunatly with the recent warmer days here in Northwest Ohio it's open again and I am pleased to have seen signs of life from by trout but I am just shocked that with that kind of water displacement that if ever closed up to begin with.

Funny story from an idiot. After the second time it closed I just could not leave well enough alone so I tied a rope to a tree and to my waist and ventured out near where the hole should be. With ax in hand I began to chip away at the ice that was crazy thick for being over the bubbler. After about 5 min. I finally broke through to water. Until this point I had not thought much about the fact that the air had been running under there. Apparently the ice around the edge had formed a better seal than I could have imagined. I nearly made a mess in the carharts when about 30 seconds later the entire ice mass over the pond let out a grown as if to act releived and proceeded to drop about three inches in in a loud thud followed by a huge gush of water from the newly opened hole that covered me with refreshingly friggen cold water. I can't explain why I thought it was a good idea to be out there yet when I told the wife of my adventures she did not seemed surprised at all. 25 years and she just is not that easy to impress anymore... There you go. I am an idiot...

Last edited by Waterbug; 02/22/14 10:14 AM.