Originally Posted By: esshup
I'm beginning to wonder if winter diffusers should be constructed differently than summer diffusers?

The goal in the summer is to move as many GPM to the surface as possible. Fine bubbles accomplish that more effeciently than coarse bubbles.

In the winter, its the wurface disruption and consequent moving water (waves/ripples) that keep the ice open.

Should we be using a coarser bubble diffuser in the winter to make more of a surface distrubance, therefore keeping the open water hole larger?

I have a cheap membrane diffuser in the winter diffuser location. I pump a LOT of air into it, and the diffuesr boil looks like it's 3" or so tall. There is a lot of water movement in the hole, and I've not seen a small open area in my pond this year. Other ponds that I've seen wtih little airflow and fine bubbles, have completely iced over in the coldest weather.

The Pondmaster pump I bought comes with what they call a diffuser. It has a big hose barb to connect large 3/4" tubing from the pump and the other end is a plastic piece with a bunch of hose barbs that regular small aquarium hose can be attached to. The manual says this device can be used inside to run multiple small hoses to different aquarium tanks, or weighted and put directly in a pond to act as a diffuser. I would think it might work for clearing ice as the holes coming out of the 16 barbs are may be 1/16" diameter (not where I can measure it handily). Another way might be to use a piece of PVC pipe and drill 12-16 1/16" holes in it. A person could check the back pressure and keep drilling holes till it suited him.

I could not find a picture of the one that came with my AP100. It had twin rows of barbs 16 total. This one has 12 in a single row but will give the idea.
cheap style diffuser Note: not promoting this place or this product. Just using the picture as an example.

Just a thought from someone who does not use a diffuser for ice (yet).

Last edited by snrub; 02/12/14 12:37 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine