Originally Posted By: MSC
Snrub, good info in that link, thanks. You guys are right. I guess the best thing for me to do is make better habitat, because the frogs are going to be there already. My pond is pretty clean and probably lacking good frog habitat.

This thread just gave me an idea. I had not thought much about the large number of tadpoles I saw last spring/summer till telling the story. I think I kind of like them.

Where the water runs in to my refurbished pond on the west side it is pretty flat in there. With a few hours or less of the backhoe I could create a shallow disconnected area to that pond to create the habitat similar to what is shown in the NRCS publication. Plant some cattails or some other water tolerant vegetation in and around it. Wife likes those water plants with the arrowhead looking leaf and we have some in the creek behind the pond - so maybe some of those. The large number of frogs would be back, and in addition it would act as a filter basin to keep the sediment from the adjacent field mostly out of the main pond.

Sounds like a new plan! I'll redo what I just screwed up! laugh We all need something to keep us busy.

2"-1' deep hole 25-30' diameter at pond inlet but not connected to pond with water or with no more than a couple inches of water.

Overhead picture below the pond is about 16" below full pool. Had excavated around the perimeter last fall and not enough runoff to re-fill it again. Have added more 3" rock on the shoreline since the satellite picture was taken.

Attached Images
Dad's old pond refurbed cropped.jpg Dad's old cow pond.JPG

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine