Pottsy - The micoalgae (phytoplankton) in winter are comprised of different taxa than those of summer /warmer water. The phytoplankton community is very dynamic and constantly changing. Dominant species are usu. different each season esp in temperate areas. I analyze phytoplankton weekly from two local municipal res. and dominant / common species are always shifting. Temperature, nutrient levels, and day length (increasing vs decreasing daylength) are all factors that govern phytoplankton composition and density. Those prevelant in winter under ice are present in a lot lower densities than those of summer. Also detrius, bacteria, & zooplanton densities are a lot lower in the cold water. Certain cold water adapted species can bloom under the ice which in my experience occurs most often during very thin snow cover, snow melt, or in areas w/ snow blown off ice. Very early blooms right after ice melt are also common due to slight nutrient pulses. These blooms do not obtain the same densities as the heavy /thick summer bloom. The phytoplankton during winter is more than adequate to supply plenty of oxygen for the pond /lake if snow cover is minimal or removed 20% -40%. That's why the shoveling / snow removal was proposed or anything to keep a little light penetrating into the water.

My pond water (Lk. Erie's southern regions) is currently hovering around 50 deg F. When it approaches 48 - 45 deg it too will also get a lot clearer. This fall it was running abt 4' visibility. You mentiond your water is "terribly clear". Do you have a transparency reading? Get a white disk, maybe a plastic lid abt. 8" dia. put a string / cord through the center, lower it into the water. When it disappears measure the length of line. What is it? I will measure mine tomorrow.

Pottsy, your water will probably continue to clear some until freeze up. For fun we can do a phytoplankton test in November to see just what is in your pond and at what density in the 'terribly clear' water. Let me know if you are interested.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management