snakebite asks: I'm going to be on limited budget, if I have multiple ponds 5-6 when finished within close proximity to each other. Ranging from .25-up to 2.5 acres. Mostly flat bottoms 6-16 max depths. What's the most cost effective way of getting air into the multiple ponds? Bill what's the average cost of running a electric system per year? Is it running all summer/fall or just turned on in the evening into morning? Thanks.
When on a limited budget, at least for me, means that I have more time than money. With that philosophy then one can spend some time searching for the best motor deal and creating a do-it-yourself electric aerator or windmill. I have always specialized in DIY aeration. Good DIY very good electric aerators can be assembled for 1/4-1/3 the cost of a windmill. Research windmill costs and you will get an idea of dollar amounts. I have had one or two guys near me create their own windmill, either by buying the head and fabing it to an old style tower or building the head from scratch since he worked for a metal fab company. Often when one goes that route calculating the time involved results in more money than if the unit was purchased outright. Basically it amounts to what is one's time worth and how creative and talented are you?.

Electric aerators can be created using various methods and components as evidenced here by RC51's example. However I contend that his compressor is the weakest link in his system. However to do this one has to be handy, creative, and resourceful. I have been "toying" with various aeration systems since the late 1980's and have learned and still learning a lot about DIY aeration systems. My philosophy has always been if you are going to build a DIY make as good if not better than the commercial units. Many of the parts are basic available parts. With commercial units, you are paying for someone else doing good research, putting something together that is reliable, serviceable, does the task, looks good, and with a guarantee, plus it saves you a lot of time exploring what is needed, searching for parts, and assembling those parts. Many find this way too complicated. This can be time consuming.

The main and most important component in my opinion is the compressor. You want one that is durable, long lasting, and produces as much air and at least the same psi as the commercial units for your application.

The other part of the question is aerator run time. This all depends on numerous pond variables. My general rule of thumb is the higher average temperature of the pond the more the aerator needs to operate. Simple example: in Florida one may need to operate the aerator 12-16-24 hrs a day, in TN 10-16-24 hrs a day and in OH 4-10hrs a day. Various pond conditions have a big, big influence on the runtime of aerators. This is why one needs a very long lasting, very dependable compressor to withstand the long hours of operation between pump rebuilds. The default guidance is run aerator 24-7 to reduce chances of mistakes and unexpected weather events and to make up for your lack of daily pond observence. Cost of operating is based on amps of motor and electric utility rates.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/21/14 10:24 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management