Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Mark, when I first emailed virtual friend George about my desire to return to fly fishing after a 25 year absence, he recommended a TFO Signature Series II. I got a pair, and I practice with them all the time. I bought a couple of cheap Echo Ion reels, IIFC around $35 and I was ready to go.

Although I tend to be a bit unkempt at times, I'm anal about my fishing rods, and that includes my fly rods. I had a lot of trouble initially with the slower taper on these rods, but as I got better, I realized that these rods were perfect to practice, as well as fish with. The rod's slower action forces me to wait on my back cast and let the rod load. After that, all my fly rods seem easier to cast. It took me a while, but it was worth the effort.

George will set you up good, but if you want to get the expensive stuff, you'll need to hide it under the car seats like I do. whistle

OK, my turn….
When my son Jeff built “our” pond in about 2002, we had all kinds of ideas abut what fish we wanted to stock. I had about 10 years experience fly fishing striped bass on Lake Texoma and salt water species with appropriate tackle – Loomis 8, Sage 9, 10, and 12 weights – all hand crafted with affordable components, rigged with the best reels I could afford.

I did not have a suitable fly rod for pond fishing, so I began my search.
The big box combo units just didn’t suit my fancy.
I found local fly rod manufacturer Temple Fork Outfitters to be the solution to my problem, discovering the owner was a long time acquaintances from the fishing world, with outstanding reputation. I have been an avid fan of TFO every since, so I may be a bit prejudiced.

TFO does not sell direct, so IIRC I ordered a TFO 2pc, 6wt Signature fly rod from an on-line fly retail fly shop - one of the best med/fast fly rods I have ever owned – rigged it out with an inexpensive reel and fly line.
With some 10 years fly fishing experience I was capable of making good decisions.
That is a problem for folks getting started without reliable guidance,

I just bought a TFO NXT 5-6 wt combo set with a fly rod, reel, fly line, leader and case Christmas present combo “starter” fly kit for my grandson-in-law.

My answer to folks seeking recommendation for pond fishing starter fly kits is always a TFO 2pc, 6wt Signature fly rod for about $100 bucks and rig it out yourself with reel, line and leader, or a 5-6wt TFO NXT combo fly kit for about $200.00, that includes a 4pc fly rod with reel, fly line, leader and case.
Temple Fork Outfitters provides a no-fault, no questions asked lifetime guarantee for repair or replacement with fast turn-around – they are good folks and friends of mine.

These are just my thoughts on likes and dis-likes so do your homework and select the fly tackle that pleases you best.
Good luck,
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)