Originally Posted By: Mobilus
Thanks, Loretta!

I finally got a bid on the closed cell spray insulation for the shop: $2500. I want to check with some other installers before ponying up.

For those of you with experience, should I install electrical components (outlets, light fixtures, etc) before or after the insulation?

Your welcome!

When comparing prices make sure the bids are for the same R value, ask how thick it will be. With closed cell spray insulation your cavity won't be filled up. My 4" walls had about as much insulation as Don said and there is enough room to still fish wires, the existing wires were sprayed over.

It looks like your shop will be sprayed from the inside. The installer should have some advice on when you should wire as they will see your situation in person. My guess is you should wire first. My siding was removed and the insulation was sprayed from the outside (I have wood boards between my lathe and studs, house built c.1850).

If you spray from the inside, I would put something down on your floor and tape or cover anything that could get overspray on it. Any overspray can be removed but it's easier to prevent the extra work involved in cleaning stuff up and it may stain(?). Also, the closed cell insulation doesn't trim up as neatly as you might think and with the cost, I wouldn't want to cut into it.

For my application the closed cell insulation was the best option and I was really pleased with the results. Hope this helps.

Loretta

Last edited by loretta; 01/14/14 04:47 PM.