My take is DJ's fish is on the decline, maybe - after achieving his potential. I caught several fish like that at Richmond Mill - ones that were 1.5# but seem like they easily could have been 2# at one time. I'm not a biologist and am not sure why they were in that condition - lack of food or just aging process - but they had the same pinch belly condition.

In my main pond nearly ALL BG I'm catching now, regardless of size, are pinch bellied. It's got to be due to lack of food - which has never been an issue before - so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Maybe my rising classes of BG aren't pellet training? Maybe I'm not throwing enough food to escape the SMB and HSB? Maybe I should be including some feeding times earlier in the day when SMB and HSB aren't nearly as active feeders?

Just saying I have this issue population wide. DJ's fish is outstanding - just noticed the concave belly and thought - wow, that looks familiar!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]