I'm in general agreement with CJ, in that a reproducing, sustaining population of mountain lions is one thing, while a lone male "explorer" here and there is quite another.

HOWEVER....if I were losing livestock, or had a personal encounter with a mountain lion that, for whatever reason, didn't end comfortably for me, then I highly doubt the state's claim that the damage was due to a lone male individual would bring me much comfort. Sure they might be right, but would it matter if the deed was already done?

One more thing. That male that traveled from the Dakotas to Connecticut...how many folks observed that cat during its journey? For those who claim the eastern half of the country is too populated and too well developed to hide an out of place, large animal...

Hmmm?

Somewhere in my files I have an old newspaper clipping detailing the account of the moose that stopped traffic just a few miles outside of Bloomington, IN. A lone wanderer, just as CJ suggests. But it came all this way south before anyone took notice.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.