In my mind Facebook is pretty much like a lot of things in life. Some good - some bad.

You choose how much or how little time to use it. You decide who and who you don't "friend".

I recently re-connected with a guy that was my best friend in the Boy Scouts more than 40 years ago. After high school, college, marriages, we had lost touch. Now we communicate on Facebook and have attended some football games together. Pretty cool! Same thing with a niece that lives in a Hawaii...I would almost never pick up the phone and call her..but via Facebook I stay up with her and her kids and actually can peek into their daily lives. I enjoy being able to watch her kids grow up in a day to day way since she is in Hawaii and I am in Texas. Facebook makes this option available. It's not the only option, but it is one great option in my mind.

There are countless instances like this for me on Facebook.
But like almost anything...it's not for everyone...2EachHisOwn.

Here is a picture of 3 guys (me on the far right) that went all the way thru elementary school, Boy Scouts, and high school together, that have re-connected decades later via Facebook and rekindled friendships.

ps: heck even PondBoss is on Facebook smile
https://www.facebook.com/PondBossMagazine

Fishing has never been about the fish....