On the topic of the taste of venison I have a theory...I live in the breadbasket of the US - most of my hunting areas are 100% surrounded by crop fields that rotate between corn and soybeans. So the deer I harvest are fed as well if not better than most beef you buy in the store. I've had literally dozens of people over the years tell me they don't like the taste of venison...often times at the same time they are EATING it. For the vast majority of dishes people can't tell the difference between my venison and beef. I also believe that has a lot to do with how and when you harvest and process the deer.

Now I've also eaten venison from less agricultural areas...IMHO that meat has the potential to be much more gamey. A couple of years ago a friend of mine went down to West Texas - mesquite country - and brought venison back. The meat was mesquite flavored...which was pretty dang good in chili.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous