Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
And this is one that makes me cry...Shot this deer with my bow on Nov 3rd 2011...Was a very slight quartering to shot and I hit a little far back...Was still several ribs in which should have been at least one lung and liver, but he didn't bleed...Looked and looked and even had a friend that has dogs trained to recover deer help...

Had the same issue 2 seasons ago. Biggest buck of my life. Had him chasing a doe around my stand and got him to stop at 30 yds. Problem was the wind was blowing hard enough to make my tree sway quite a bit and I hit him about an inch too far back. Backed out for 5 hours, went back and had a decent blood trail at first, but then it petered out after about 1/2 mile. Never found him.

That was the last shot I took with a fixed blade broadhead. Had shot Muzzys for 20 years. Last year was my first year using mechanicals - Rage is the one I'm using. Took 5 deer last year, 2 bucks and 3 does. Farthest distance to blood trail was 60 yards. I'm convinced. The only issue I see with mechanicals is the infamous shoulder hit. I've had clean pass through the shoulder and body cavity and embedded the broadhead in the opposing shoulder blade with muzzys...I don't believe that will happen with the mechanical head.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous