Originally Posted By: esshup
When I did the last one, there wasn't hardly any blood n guts.

It is interesting that you say that. I've never thought much about it. Whether it is a deer, a squirrel, or even a big old catfish, I seldom see much blood. Maybe I just haven't noticed. As for guts -- if done right, they pretty much stay intact from the windpipe to the poop shoot, and just fall out.

I believe there are probably a number of Youtube videos on preparing game for the table.

For warm blooded animals, I always gut while still warm. Depending on the situation, I sometimes skin before gutting. Under the right conditions, it can help keep 99.99% of any hair/fur from getting into the meat. For things like deer, I usually skin and quarter them while hanging from my tractor front end loader, in my garage after gutting. A handful of kitty litter will sop up any blood that leaks out as it is hung by its rear knees.

As for beef or pork, that is a slightly different story. My father always collected the blood for sausage. I just let it soak into the ground.

For me, fish are the easiest. Fur bearing animals, big or small, are next. Feathered creatures, unless they are skinned, are the hardest. I hate dunking a critter in boiling water, plucking it, and then using an alcohol burner to get the last of the pin feathers out. As I've gotten older, I've also pretty much lost my desire to prepare snapping turtles.

But -- most all God's critters still make pretty tasty meals.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!