Hi all,

Hoping for some help in dealing with a notification the homeowners in our subdivision just received.

The letter indicated the silt/muck levels in our retention ponds received a grade "F" and immediate action needs to be taken, for the ponds to maintain adequate detention storage.

The 2 options presented are 1) change ponds to a naturalized "marsh-like" retention basin for a cost of $55K or 2) dredge the ponds for $110K that would have to happen every 15 years

They provide very few details about how the grades were determined, what would happen in the event of failure, or what options / methods were considered.

My fear is the subdivision will simply select option 1 because it is cheaper, these lakes have 6+lb bass and frankly backing to the pond was the only reason I purchased the home.

Interested in ANY thoughts more seasoned pond experts might have, does the cost seem high? could aggressive maintenance reverse the problem over time for less cost? etc

I don't know the exact measurements of the ponds but roughly calculated 9,000 sq yards or just under 2 total acres.

Thanks
Jay