Kelly and Bill-- I too am skeptical of most manufacturers' claims of quick fixes of any kind. My reasoning for using "added" microbes and enzymes was that, with the sudden and heavy increase in nutrients (dying vegetation) the natural organisms might need a little help. The existing microbes will eventually devour the nutients but would a little "reinforcement" not accelerate the process?
I used water from my well and "brewed up" 25 gallons of product which I distributed evenly throughout my pond by boat. The manufacturer claims this product contains 11 species of bacteria and 7 different enzymes.I know, the magic formula. The cost was very little and I just thought I'd give it a try. It is too early to give you an evaluation of its true effectiveness, but my dead algae is disappearing and there was a lot of it.
My theory for "brewing" up 25 gallons of liquid for dispersal is that it facilitates the even distribution, as opposed to sprinkling 1 lb. of dry product on top of the water. The "brewing" process also requires a maintained temperature of 90 degrees for 24 hrs (easily accomplished with an aquarium heater).The resulting "witches brew" certainly smelled impressive.
After this cleanout of dead Nyphoides Peltata and the resulting algae, hopefully my pond will return to its normal state, with its preexisting nutrient level.My intention is not to have perfectly clear water.I'll let you know in a few weeks the results of this biological treatment.Thanks for responding to my thread. I need all the input I can get.