If you want a reduced number of lifts per day - then take Ted's calculation of 8 lifts and divide it into 24 hrs. Thus it takes 3 hrs for every lift to occur. IMO you could aerate 4 to 6 hrs per day and keep the bottom of the pond oxygenated. When I operate an air system for less than 24/7 then I run the system so I see it running when I get up in the morning or arrive home in the evening so I knew that it ran that day.

Try operating it for a shorter period and see how things look in the pond. Pay special attention to your algae and sediment problems in the beach area. Pay attention to the amount of sediment build ups or depths of the sediment or blackness of the sediment. Although, as you have learned, aeration has little to do with subsurface sediment anoxic blackness. If everything appears the same as for the long run time then you are probably okay with shorter aeration periods.

Note - The only positive way to know if the run time is adequate is to check the oxygen concentrations near the bottom shortly (1-2hrs) before the system restarts. Good DO near the bottom means the previous circulation time was adequate for amount of oxygen consumed near the sediment water interface which generally has the highest oxygen demand in a pond /lake.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/27/13 03:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management