Tom,

My appologies if I have not been clear about how the use of cornmeal works with a pond taken over by algea. I have never intended for there to be any mystery. The explaination I gave in post 10 from the first page provides details of what happens with the use of cornmeal.

The idea is to use the most simple and least harmful method to restore the natural balance to the pond. When you get the balance right, it becomes a self sustaining cycle.

The corn meal helps to feed and promote beneficial bacteria. The bacteria feeds on the fertilizer (nitrogen & phosphorous). the reduction in "fertilizer" levels causes the algea to start to die off and the decaying algea is then absorbed back into the environment and also contributes to the growth of the bacteria.

In the best circumstance you end up with a balance between the bacteria levels and enough algea to sustain the bacteria.

Where you can have problems with this method, or any method, of controlling algea is if you have outside sources of fertilizer entering into the pond either from watershed or live water sources feeding the pond.

In my situation I have direct control of the watershed feeding my ponds and have not had to deal with the fil. algea for the last couple years.

Thanks Tom and everyone on these forums. This exchange of experiences and information have been extremely beneficial for me. What a great site.

Good Luck to you no matter what direction you go.

Thanks,

JW

P.S. WOW PO, $5 for 50# very nice find!