Tom,

I am sympathetic to your situation. I will throw out a suggestion that has worked well for me. It will help to have proper disolved oxygen levels to bring a good balance to your pond and help to minimize the massive reoccurence of the algea.

Algea growth in ponds can spiral out of control because of nutrients containing nitrogen, phosphorous, and seasonal changes in temperature. Also helping the process of photosynthesis is prolonged periods of sunlight.

The idea is to limit or reduce the nutrient levels (Phosphorous and nitrogen) by creating an environment where "bacteria convert nitrogen to atmospheric forms or uptake it to build cell structure during reproduction along with phosphorous while processing waste (food source)." The result is that the algae are starved of their nutrient sources.

"Most algae contain cellulose structures (as a result of photo synthesis) that can be broken down to starches as a body of water is reduced in nutrient content. Certain bacteria produce enzymes called cellulases and amylases that can break down cellulose-containing algal material into readily biodegradable starches and sugars respectively. Other algae can store oils that can also be biologically degraded. As algae die off, bacterial action increases to clarify or clear the water source of dead debris or suspended solids."

Algae control through a "bilogical nutrient removal" process is a non-hazardous process that can eliminate or reduce the need for chemical-based algaecides.

Obtain Three 50lb. bags of hog feed grade cornmeal from a milling company. If they cannot provide it in burlap bags then pick up some of those as well, Place a rock in each bag that will sink the bag to the bottom. Place the bags at various locations spread out in the pond.

The organic carbon in the cornmeal enables the beneficial bacteria in the water to flourish at the expense of the algae. Then the decomposing algae provide a source of carbon for the bacteria.

I don't know what the cost of the Cutrine was and the cornmeal can be more expense than some folks want to spend ($30-$40/50#). For me that is an individual call. If the cost is more than a person wants to spend compared to using stuff like Cutrine that is their call. It is a free country and I love it that way.

There are also folks that sell the beneficial bacteria. I appologize for not having those purchase references for this note

Good luck and let us know how things go as things heat up,

Cheers,

J.W

P.S Fast kills of large amounts of algea can cause disolved oxygen depletion problems. I hope The experts on the board will weigh in on the possible implications and recommendations.