Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Gully Washer I'm a diy guy even when I can afford to have things done. It's a sickness. Right now I have high tree limbs hanging low over my drive that need to be cut. A tree trimmer lives next door with a bucket truck. But I am using a slingshot to fire a string over the high limbs, then attaching a rope to it with a chain saw chain attached to pull the rope/saw over the limb and sawing the limbs down. I don't think I am quite as old as Cecil but I will be 79 tomorrow and as Cecil says I'm getting to old for this but it keeps me healthy.
That rope saw does sound like a workout. I like the slingshot idea. I recently bonked the top of my head while throwing a nut tied to a string, over a tree branch.

I once looked into buying a pole saw, for tree trimming. Instead, I built one myself. I used a couple of steel hose clamps to attach a small electric chainsaw to the end of a 10' long piece of 1" electrical conduit, zip tied the trigger, cut the plug off the electrical cord, spliced on a section of an old extension cord, routing it through a toggle switch mounted on the other end of the pole. (Yes, it is a sickness.)

The $40 homemade pole saw worked really well. So well, that a buddy borrowed it about a year ago and hasn't returned it since. He's one of those who likes to borrow stuff and never return it. When I inquire about it, he himhaws around the subject. I suspect he re-loaned it to someone of the same ilk.

Congrats on your birthday, and thanks for the slingshot idea.