Originally Posted By: JKB
[quote=esshup]I recently purchased a 50# bag of stock salt at Tractor Supply. <$5.00 for 50#. It seemed to work well for mixing in the water to transport fish. But I realize that not everyone will need that volume of salt. wink

A couple 1200 gallon tanks will go thru it like candy.

Depends on how much salt you want to add. If I'm not doing aquaponics a 0.2 percent (2ppt) solution doesn't take much salt at all to keep it at 0.2 percent.

I am changing the way of dosing salt.
Originally, I was going to premix in a tank of water, then take salinity measurements and all that stuff. Another mixing tank will also take up room, then pumps, metering devices, conductivity sensors and all that other stuff.

I just add salt when i do a water change. In my small systems a half a container of Morton salt keeps the 500 gallon system right at 0.2 percent.

Gravimetric with dry seems to be an easier way, at least for me. And it would all be overhead, so no floor space required. I can measure the water volume in the system within 1/2 gallon, worst case, so make up water and dry dosing should be quite a bit easier.

Just thinking out loud here.

Yes and making it more complicated than it has to be. You brainiac engineers crack me up. Yes that's a compliment! Like I said I'm a keep it simple stupid guy cause I'm stupid. grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.