First -- welcome to Pond Boss. You will get a lot of good solid and pretty-much unbiased advice here. You are also in a part of the country where we have a lot of active members.

I agree with all the others above. Definitely skip the crappie. They just cause way too many issues in small waters by spawning early, unevenly each season, and having big mouths that will compete with your bass.

Don't put the largemouth bass in this season. Let the fathead minnows and bluegill get a good start. It will be good for them, and the offspring will provide great bass forage next season. All will thrive.

You can go with hybrid bluegill or the coppernose bluegill and red ear sunfish -- but, as a new pond manager, I wouldn't suggest mixing the hybrids with the coppernose and redears. From what you've posted, I'd go with the coppernose and redears.

The hybrids are mainly for put-and-take ponds, where you stock them, feed and grow them, and take them out. For me, it is a twice a year project of adding fingerlings, and I also have to worry about any offspring they create. They have minimal reproduction, but the offspring they create are not a desirable fish to have in your pond.

In your part of the country, the coppernose will grow fast and big -- probably as fast as the hybrids, but with very few issues. The red ears can also grow massive, however they are mainly stocked as snail eaters. The snails can cause parasites in you bluegill and bass.

I'm a little surprised that your stocker didn't suggest channel catfish. Adding 15-25 can provide a lot of fun and good eating. They basically won't reproduce in small ponds. They are inexpensive. They grow very fast. They just have to be replenished every few years.

Please don't be shy about asked ng questions. This is a very friendly, helpful, and non threatening group, with some very experienced pond managers.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!