As of two days ago, I had six each of my new tilapia, in two 10 gallon aquariums. Six got transferred into my aquaponics tank yesterday morning, along with six 5-7 inch bluegill. (there were already some bluegill and fatheads in the tank -- more later.)

After I removed six of the tilapia from the one aquarium, I noticed that two tilapia in the other aquarium appeared to be romantically involved. I removed the other four and put them in the empty aquarium. All of these fish had grown to about 3 inches.

As of last night, the pea gravel in the aquarium with the romantics had one big excavation (about 3-inch diameter) down to the bottom of the aquarium. This morning, there was a second excavation that was about 2 inches in diameter. They appeared to be spawning, but I never saw any eggs or milt. They both have had long strings, that look much like thin dental floss, hanging from their bottoms. It eventually breaks off. As of tonight, both were vigorously eating pellets.

To prevent the eggs, yolk sacs, etc, from being sucked up, I've turned off the circulating water filter. Only the aerator is running in the tank.

I guess the bottom line question is -- have these two tilapia spawned? Is it possible I chose two alternate life-stylers who will not produced any offspring. How long before I may see results?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!