Aerial application is an integral part of many agricultural productions. As has been said, conditions will dictate when it can or must be used. Fields are often too wet for land based spray rigs, timing may be critical due to the sudden emergence of pests or weeds in fields nearly ready for harvest, such as a wheat crop which could be lost very quickly if not treated.

Wind drift is a HUGE factor in any kind of spraying. Even here at the house, the best time to spray is almost always at dawn, and the window of opportunity is short.

With the emergence of cover crops, you may see more aerial seeding in the fall. At the farm, we are looking at seeding into standing soybeans to give the cover crop seed a head start. No decisions yet, but it's beginning to look cost effective to help build up the soil and maybe even reduce the amount of fertilizers necessary in the future.

My Dad was a private pilot (not a crop duster), and I know that he thought that most crop dusters were the best skilled civilian pilots. Because of the farm and getting to be around airplanes with my Dad, I love to watch crop dusters, but I understand that not everyone will. Hopefully, you won't be bothered too often, as I understand the value of a good night's rest. But these days, my bladder seems to take care of sleeping too late, and my dog certainly will if my bladder won't!

P.S. I don't know if it is still true, but about 35 years ago, I recall seeing a study that said that the life expectancy of a crop duster was as good as the general population. The reason cited was that in order to get and keep a pilot's license, you have to be in pretty good shape. I've never heard if the study was proven accurate or if it was an anomaly.

GGB