Whoever said anything about 2,4-D being banned? I sure didn't!
Actually, I sell about 2 semi-trailer loads of 2,4-D per season to state and Federal agencies, river authorities and lake management companies - who use it for legitimate aquatic purposes.
As for WEEDAR 64; which is one of the oldest 2,4-D labels, originally marketed by Union Carbide, for whom I worked as a technical field rep during the 80s: it is, as are the rest of the 4# aquatic 2,4-D Amine formulations, STRICTLY labeled for surface treatment of water hyacinth and subsurface treatment of Eurasian watermilfoil - BUT the later is ONLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH TVA TREATMENT PROGRAMS.
Read the product's label!!! Then, ask your state department of agriculture for their opinion on the matter. Please let me know if they favor your viewpoint.
Saving lots o' money for your clients is a noble objective. But, violating Federal law to accomplish that objective isn't advised.
As with many pesticide products, just because it WILL WORK CHEAPLY for a particular need doesn't mean that you're ALLOWED to use it for that purpose.