Bill - Dr. Masser came by last Thurs, microscope in hand. We scoped some samples from the pond and observed a "society" of cyanobacteria species. It was really amazing to see so many different structures within a pinhead of biomass - including plenty of aquatic microinvertebrates. I'm sure such sights are no revelation to you. However, for those of us who dwell in the macro-world, it was really enlightening.

That pond's manager decided to conduct a treatment with GREENCLEAN (a newly registered non-copper algaecide). We used approx. 50 lbs./ac-ft in a "shock treatment". No fish mortality observed (even in the absence of aeration). Also, the algal growths on the bottom quickly detached and floated to the surface - presenting a dead appearance (which may be misleading in this case). Plus, a very strong odor was emitted immediately after the treatment. Unknown if it was the GREENCLEAN or the "dead" algae or a combination of the two. The manager rigged up a high-volume trash pump and vacuumed the floating debris off of the surface, flushing it into the golf course drains that flank the pond. At this point, the gunnite bottom around the perimeter is absolutely clean - and the owner is very happy with the results. BUT, again, this isn't the typical "pond environment" that this board focuses upon.

I was in the field today with a lake management company, applying several "test treatments" to similar algal growths in multiple ponds. These particular ponds are urban lakes, where aesthetics are EVERYTHING and fish are an accidental encumberance (especially since fishing is not allowed). Here's a aerial picture to illustrate the setting described above. Lake Aerial Obviously, these ponds are also NOT the typical "Pond Boss" ecosystems.

I'll keep you posted with any further findings.