Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Small Town Lake, Anadrews9252, jhgadd, Syndel, chin_monster
18,593 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,123
Posts559,743
Members18,593
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,737
ewest 21,554
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,200
Who's Online Now
8 members (FishinRod, Brev, bstone261, esshup, Bill Cody, Knobber, Boondoggle, DeerTexas), 746 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#329701 04/10/13 08:46 AM
A
AEM Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I saw this bald eagle on the deck when I got home the other day then got some other pics of him fishing...keep in mind this is central Indiana. Not a fish but I think the pics are pretty cool

Last edited by esshup; 04/11/13 03:08 PM. Reason: tried to fix width problem
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
That is very cool! Thanks for sharing AEM.

A
AEM Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The eagle let me walk outside and get about 6 feet away from him before he flew away..he came back a few hours later and set on the steps..

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've seen them up here in Northern Indiana too. It's great they are coming back. I just hope they don't find my small trout pond with high value fish I sell. If so I'll have to string horizontal mono across the pond to discourage them.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
It's almost like the Eagle was "allowing" you to be on 'his' deck!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've seen it before where they don't seem to have much fear of humans. Perhaps that's why their numbers got so low in the past?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
AEM Offline OP
OP Offline
A
He didn't seem to have any fear I opened the door walked out and he stayed for a while before he took off....is fun to watch..

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Some moron shot an eagle up here a few years back just for the heck of it. Some people will shoot anything.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That would be cool to befriend this eagle.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I think DDT was the biggest reason why bald eagle numbers dropped.

DDT is correct,

Befriend an eagle, maybe Diego did, in another life... grin

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I think DDT was the biggest reason why bald eagle numbers dropped.

Not so the EPA books were cooked by politicians see Ruckelshaus. Suggest you look into the matter and see what its ban did to many millions in south Africa and India.

During his early tenure in the EPA, the agency issued a ban on DDT, against the advice of the EPA hearing examiner, Judge Edmund Sweeney

The National Academy of Sciences, the American Medical Association, and the U.S. surgeon general were among those who dismissed these charges and came out in support of continuing to use DDT to fight disease and protect crops. A federal hearing was held on the safety of DDT, and in April 1972 Judge Edmund Sweeney concluded that not only was DDT safe, but it was an essential chemical. Two months later, the head of the Environmental Protection Agency, William Ruckelshaus – who had never attended a single day’s session of the EPA’s hearings and admitted that he had not read the transcripts — overturned the judge’s decision, declaring, without evidence, that DDT was “a potential human carcinogen” and banned it for virtually all uses.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/246562/deadly-war-against-ddt-elizabeth-m-whelan

Last edited by ewest; 04/11/13 09:49 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So Eric DDT did not thin the egg shells? What caused the rapid decline in their numbers then?

I can relate to the above as far as abuse of power. I've been involved in numerous hearings and calls for comment regarding issues related to aquaculture and decisions by APHIS. One thing I learned is they almost always have their minds made up ahead of time, do what they want to do, and the hearings and calls for comments are just pretend and protocol.

We don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic and many of those in power know that full well and take advantage of it.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/11/13 10:32 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: I think DDT was the biggest reason why bald eagle numbers dropped.[/quote

Not so. The EPA books were cooked by politicians. See Ruckelshaus. Suggest you look into the matter and see what its ban did to many millions in south Africa and India.
During his early tenure in the EPA, the agency issued a ban on DDT, against the advice of the EPA hearing examiner, Judge Edmund Sweeney
The National Academy of Sciences, the American Medical Association, and the U.S. surgeon general were among those who dismissed these charges and came out in support of continuing to use DDT to fight disease and protect crops. A federal hearing was held on the safety of DDT, and in April 1972 Judge Edmund Sweeney concluded that not only was DDT safe, but it was an essential chemical. Two months later, the head of the Environmental Protection Agency, William Ruckelshaus – who had never attended a single day’s session of the EPA’s hearings and admitted that he had not read the transcripts — overturned the judge’s decision, declaring, without evidence, that DDT was “a potential human carcinogen” and banned it for virtually all uses.

Eric: Thanks for initiating an effort to correct this often quoted, yet misconstrued perception toward DDT; which is a result of the media’s perpetuation of “intentional misinformation” (aka “lies”).
LINKED HERE is the full-version of the article-excerpt that Eric referenced in his post, for anyone who is remotely interested in the actual facts concerning DDT.
Based on the handling of DDT-research in the 60s/70s, I now cast a very wary eye toward all “research” that appears to have political motivations or an objective to influence legislation (ie. global warming, GMO, medical/pharmaceuticals, etc). Just call me a fully fledged conspiracy-theorist…..

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That's awesome. I would sacrifice a few fish to keep him around. I live in river country and they often flyover but never stop. Just those dang herons.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
And what of the charges leveled against DDT? A 1978 National Cancer Institute report concluded—after two years of testing on several different strains of cancer-prone mice and rats—that DDT was not carcinogenic.

As for the DDT-caused eggshell thinning, it is unclear whether it did, in fact, occur and, if it did, whether the thinning
was caused by DDT, by mercury, by PCBs, or by the effects of human encroachment.

And as recently as 1998 researchers reported that thrush eggshells in Great Britain had been thinning at a steady rate 47 years before DDT hit the market; the researchers placed the blame on the early consequences of industrialization.

The simple truth is that because of Ruckelshaus' political decision upwards of 100 million people are dead and several billion suffer. That is many times more than Hitler and Stalin combined killed. It is too bad that politicians don't have to answer for their actions in this world. I would hope that all 3 of the aforementioned meet in hell.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The same thing happened to gulf coast pelicans but, according to a doc I just read, the pelican population was dwindling prior to DDT use.

I couldn't find in the few documents I read (include Eric's) if they ever figured out what was causing the eagle and pelican population drop-off and subsequent re-growth?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: ewest
The simple truth is that because of Ruckelshaus' political decision upwards of 100 million people are dead and several billion suffer. That is many times more than Hitler and Stalin combined killed.

Whoa Eric...that's some heavy stuff
but nothing from the DC Control Freaks surprises me.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
zep,
From the docs I read, the rate of malaria soared into the 20million+ cases per year after DDT was banned.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
R
R
AEM, nice photo. He looks quite majestic. Perhaps you could leave him some prey out so he'll stick around? Not sure if there are laws preventing human interference though.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Not seeing or catching small bass
by Brev - 06/30/24 10:26 AM
Help with system choice
by esshup - 06/30/24 09:58 AM
Floating platform - barrels or floats?
by esshup - 06/30/24 09:49 AM
Pokeweed for Wildlife?
by Dudley Landry - 06/30/24 09:15 AM
More questions than answers…
by DeerTexas - 06/30/24 09:14 AM
New 1/4 acre pond