Originally Posted By: jsfatl
Constructing a dock on my one acre pond. Any suggestion on a good size? Don't really know how it will be used, except perhaps to have a few people fishing off of, or jumping in the water. Perhaps dock a canoe along one side...

Will be a platform dock that will connect back to the shore via "bridge" ramp. Just curious what size dock you would build...

Thanks
J

I have been just working on mine. A few more minor details and it will be done.. The walkway is 5 to 6 feet wide. Comfortable for two people walking out side by side, or setting stuff down and getting by it without tripping over it.

The end is 8x10, which makes the area between all the posts 6x10. I feel that this is good enough for two people to fish, or have chairs and still have a bit of room. I do plan on putting a feeder on the one corner. Now if I want to put a grow-out cage off it, then I will wish it was a bit bigger, but I imagine I will make do.

It is a combination of permanent posts and floating. The deck can float by means of the wood's own buoyancy. It is not fastened to the posts and cross headers it is setting on. I wouldn't plan on standing on it if the water comes up that much, but we get some heavy rains that will raise the level of our pond as much as 16-20". Then it will flow back out in about a weeks time.

I have about a 1+ acre pond and I didn't want something so big that it would be overpowering the setting.