When using pond water as domestic water you want to do two main things. Kill the bacteria and other life forms and filter the water to make it clear. The local (state) health department has standards, guidelines, and suggested methods for private users for each state that are available. I have talked to a couple pond owners who have drunk water directly from the pond without any treatment. That is very risky behavior. You are liable for water purity that you serve guests. I would call two local water treatment companies (Yellow pages - Water Treatment, Purification, Filtration Equipment) to get ideas and plans for what you need according to your state standards and an estimation of costs. Once you know what types of minimal equipment that are needed then you can start shopping around for options including DIY. NOTE: Once the health dept knows what you are doing then they often require you to test the water for bacteria content to verify purity and proper functioning of the system.

My philosophy is it is much better if you manage your pond for the clear water option (5-8 ft visibility), thus there is less effort, filtration, and cost to get good water quality in the house. Ponds with lots of tiny micro suspended solids (clays, silts, dead detritus in the less than 0.1-5um range) will always cause more frequent filter changes and maintenance. Many filters only remove particles down to 3-5um. Normally one does not need RO for the entire house, just primarily for drinking water in the kitchen and maybe the refrigerator.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/24/13 07:04 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management