Quote:
Can anybody tell me the needs of running an aerator during the winter for FISH?
1 . Is it only when ice or snow covers it for long periods?
2 . If only when the snow covers it can I drill a hole in the ice and pump water on the snow to melt it?
3 . Can I run the aerator only for a set time each day or will that cause problems with the water temperature lays that have formed under the ice?
4 . Does cooling the water down by running it continuously cause problems for the FISH, if so at what temperature?
Bill Cody answers most of your questions here:

Quote:
Bill Cody
Lunker
Member # 24

Member Rated:
posted November 28, 2003 08:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A small pond of 1/4 ac will get super chilled below the 39F temperature if you run the aerator continuously. If you are determined to run the aerator during winter try the on - off cycle. But if you use the on - off cycle be sure you take the precautions that I mentioned in earlier posts regarding check valve at the diffuser and presure relief valve on the compressor. (see posts under Questions&Observations, topic: Winter Management / De-icer or Aerator by jakeboxer back on November 5, 2003). If you do not have one or preferably both of these items then run the aerator continuously.

The time needed to run the compresssor will be dependent on the severity of the winter you have this year. The more snow and below 0F you have the more or longer the daily "run time" will have to be to keep an open hole in the pond. I would start with 4 - 6 continuous hours of "run time" each day. See how that works and adjust run time from there. As I said earlier as long as the hole freezes closed with clear ice on top you will not need to run the compressor. Ample Oxygen will be made by microalgae under the clear ice.

Here's the link:
http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000022

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric