Originally Posted By: Louis Morales
I live in Idaho and have posted last year in the new member section. I have an acre pond that is spring fed. The water is 58 degrees. It does not freeze in the winter. I have trout in the pond as well as grass carp. My problem is the filamentous algae, which has gotten worse this winter. We have had a cold winter with temps down to -20 degrees but the algae continues to grow. It is worse now than it was last summer. Should I drain first this spring and start brand new or treat. With what would be recommended.

Greetings Louis:

Most comments here suggest that excess nutrients are causing your filamentous algae problem. I agree that nutrients can be an issue however I also believe that some filamentous algae is normal, natural, and beneficial.

I believe that your nutrient problem is made worse by the fact that you have grass carp in the pond. Grass carp recycle nutrients very fast as the plant material they eat goes through their digestive system. (Similar to Canadian Geese here in Ohio). Here is an article that will confirm my comments.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/pdf/0019.pdf

Last edited by Jeff Gray; 02/19/13 11:31 PM.

Jeff Gray (Aquatic Biologist)
"Jack of All Trades.....Master of Some"