I am a fairly new member who lurked for a few months before joining. I found the site within a month of going into escrow on some land that has a pond. If this was a pay site I would not have stayed. All the basic information here can be found for free on other websites or in library books. I’d wager that most of us are DYI’s that prefer getting our hands dirty than hiring someone else to do it (even when we should). That is what makes this site unique. We are all leaning through the stories of adventures, pitfalls and successes of others that are like us. Throw on top of that a bunch of experts that participate makes this a very special place.

To be honest, when I became a member I also subscribed for two years and bought a couple books, but until this thread I didn’t know separate contributions were an option to help out. I just didn’t pay attention to that. And because I’m at a point in my life that I can contribute, I will. But then there are those who dig thier pond with a shovel and wheelbarrow who are on tight budget and will benefit greatly by this being free.

I would also say that I have belonged to other forums that have gone from free to pay. They lose half the people the first day. After time they lose diversity and become a core group that just banters back and forth. I’d join facebook if I wanted that.

I agree keeping the forum free. If more contribution are needed, let us know and I’m sure most will step up.