This is mostly appropriate to Southern bass ponds.

My observation is that most bass ponds are pretty good for 3 or 4 years. Then, the bass start slowing down and declining. I attribute that to the forage base. However, the out of balance forage condition is mostly attributable to the ponds environment(water quality) and being bass heavy. The smaller bass overeat the forage base so the up and coming 2 pounders have problems finding the appropriate sized forage. A small # of the originally stocked predators keep growing to feed on the larger bluegills.

The water quality issue can be fairly regional. Some need lime and fertilizer and it just doesn't get done often enough. Others have enough alkalinity to create a lot of weeds that allow forage to escape predation. A booming rain after a drought can wash in a lot of suspended sediment that effects and even prevents photosynthesis.

This stuff is mostly Ponds101 but, over time, we start neglecting the most important part. That part is the ponds environment and balance.

And then, there is the lack of or over supply of rain. I've personally not had to use my overflow in quite a few years. Make that 8 or 9 years.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP