Hi DocTiger, and welcome to the forum!

Great advice here so far - I too would find the drainage areas and consider building a catch pond or catch wetland. The wetland vegetation will help utilize excess nutrients from cattle [nitrogen and phosphorous] but will also slow down the silty, turbid water and allow the particulate to fall and improve clarity once it passes through the wetland. If you have multiple drainage areas try to find the spot where they all convene and build it there.

A catch pond can serve in the same function, provided you allow vegetation to grow, but could also serve as a forage pond for you, too. When your forage [minnow species, shiners, ect.] reach appropriate numbers, net some adults and save them, open the valve/gate, and release the bounty into the main BOW. Refill, add saved adults, and repeat. I want to use this model myself someday.

Temporarily, silt fences and simple hay bales are cheap, readily available, and both help slow down and improve clarity of the runoff - I've used them both with success. Do you have any photos that can help us envision what you're facing?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]