Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
There are also a number of issues with large scale aquaponics, even including e-coli issues.

Ken,

How are there ecoli issues with large scale aquaponics when ecoli only comes from mammals and not cold blooded animals like fish?

The huge spring that provides water to the raceways receives both groundwater and runoff from nearby cattle fields well above the spring, and well away from the spring. The water is run through UV light before entering the raceways, but there is always some present, or the possibility of it being present is always there. If the cut lettuce is accidentally splashed with water, or if some leaves happen to touch the water, they become contaminated and cannot be commercially used.

I see. I do know UV is not always 100 percent depending on the water clarity and how old the bulbs are.

So they are utilizing raceways and not jut the large circular tanks for the trout?

One thing has me baffled. How the side drain of the Cornell dual drain they use does not regulate the depth of the water as it appears to be below the water's surface of the circular tank. It doesn't seem logical to me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/14/13 06:43 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.