Speaking as an ice angler, the absolute worst conditions you can have is when the ice is too thin to get out on, but it covers the entire surface preventing shore casting.... And here in south central Indiana those conditions present themselves very frequently. Hence fishing out of the Jonboat.

Last year was my best winter fishing period ever, and I never got out on the ice one time. I differentiate between ice fishing, and cold water fishing....cold water fishing can be more difficult sometimes, but like I'm constantly preaching over at BBG.....you won't catch em' sitting on the couch and hoping for safe ice, or worse yet, waiting for spring......get out and give it a try. I learned a great deal about my ponds AND my fish last year, and I think I'm a better angler now because of it. Shoot, I fished this morning....unsafe ice covers all of my ponds except where the diffusers have it open, and I was able to catch fish while the guys on the ice forums are crying about the warmup, and praying for next week's cooler temps.

More to your question Al...I don't stop fishing between open water and safe ice...too much opportunity there. And you're right about the thin ice around the edges. A lot of ice anglers will "walk the plank" from shore, using a 2 x 10 to reach out to thicker ice....works pretty good in the morning, but you better be sure to come off before the temps rise....otherwise the plank becomes a raft......

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.