FirelsHot above mentioned curly leaf eel grass. Technically that name involves two different species of submerged aquatic plant. Curly leaf is curly-leaf pondweed (Potomogeton crispis)and consided by many including myself a fast spreading rampant invasive plant. It is an exotic from Europe brought into the US many years ago. It is considered a cool or cold water plant growing well in fall, surviving well in winter, and flourishing in spring until it forms seeds and winter buds. Then most of the mature part of the plant population fairly rapidly dies back. It definately has pros and cons but for most the cons outweigh the pros.
Eel grass (Vallisneria americana including several varieties or subspecies)is aka ribbon grass. The variety that FirelsH was probably referring to above is probably corkscrew or spiral eel grass. I like this short growing form of submerged plant. It IMO has many more pros than cons. J.Monroe, several others, and I are growing this plant in our ponds. It is much less invasive and less probematic compared to most all submerged plant species.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/08/13 02:40 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management