Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
robc, JCook1409, James Herndon, usa, David Lott
18,564 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,065
Posts559,106
Members18,565
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,670
ewest 21,537
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tinylake), 269 guests, and 530 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kenc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
We are thinking about feeding the bg in our bigger pond this year and would like to know whether the fish food affects the taste.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I haven't noticed it affecting the taste in any of the ponds that have feeders. All the ponds are feeding AquaMax 500 or 600.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I haven't noticed a difference.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
As far as taste different can not be for sure, but if you are feeding CC I think it helps them keep from getting an off taste from eating something else. Or at least the ones that I have caught from my ponds do not seem to taste as strong as ones I catch from lakes.

I will have to say that they add oil to the meat though. Once I clean my fish and place them in the water bowl a sheen of oil comes to the top that I have not noticed before feeding.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Same here on the sheen of oil. I thought the CC from the pond taste better than the ones from a local river also.

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yes it does if that's all they are eating.

The fish raising industry found out through research that consumers like the idea of eating fish but don't like the taste. So, the hatchery raised catfish, tilapia, etc, from the grocery store are fed a bland feed to deliver a product that doesn't taste fishy. You can add tartar sauce or something else for flavor.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Off Flavors

Usually, fish farms "purge" their fish in clean water before processing.

I was talking (typing) to a guy who successfully raised prawns in a pond. He pre-sold them to a bunch of his friends. Harvest day arrived and people were there to sample. He said they tasted like the water smelled sick Asked him if he purged them first, he said no, I said to try that next time, he said there won't be a next time!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think Dave has it right. When feed is used supplementally, as in our ponds, I don't notice a difference in taste. A steady diet of feed only might be another story.

While we're on the subject, I'm going to throw this out there, keeping in mind that "taste" is objective, and opinions vary widely from one person to another....

There are three species of fish that I have eaten, and tend to lump together under the category of "fish for folks who don't like the taste of fish".... and those would be Crappie, Rainbow trout, and Tilapia. To me, these three taste like whatever you cooked them in....not like fish. To be fair, I have never eaten a wild Tilapia, so I admit that my analysis is incomplete there. When I eat fish, I like to know that I'm eating fish...not just breading, or butter, or seasonings....I think such things should enhance the flavor of the fish, not overpower it, and to do that there needs to be a "base" of fish flavor present.

Again, that's just my take on it. For me, Bluegill is the fish of choice...not overpowering, but still tastes like......... fish?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
sprkplug, I'm like you. I like to use as little "masking flavors" as possible. Maybe that's because I was raised eating the fish that I caught and my grandmother cooked.

1) They were fresh, not half dried out, sunken in eyed fish like you see in some markets.

2) She cooked them in hot oil after they were rolled in lightly salted/peppered flour. Usually they were panfish, scaled, beheaded and gutted. The crunchy tail was the best part.

When grandpa was alive, I remember him fishing for catfish in Fox Lake, using an elastic trot line and 1" squares of Ivory Soap. I really don't remember how he got the trot line in and out of the water, but I do remember him standing on shore, pulling in on it, like a VERY long rubber band. He died when I was 8 or 10.

My mom (her daughter) hates the smell of fish, and won't cook it unless it's fish sticks or something like that. If I wanted to eat fish, I had to go next door to get my fish fix.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I would think that if fish that are fed exclusively a commercial diet taste bad, then there would not be much of an aquaculture market. Sounds like a subjective thing to me.

I do know off flavor can be an issue but it has to do with other things besides feed from what I understand. Purging in fresh water for a couple of days usually gets rid of the problem.

There's also an off flavor phenomenon sometimes in catfish production ponds due to a particular type of blue green algae I believe.

https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/33/

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/03/13 02:05 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
kenc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have read on the internet that aquamax contains chicken feathers. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, do they clean the feathers before it is made into feed?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not sure it would be an issue as the feed is cooked at such a high temperature it kills pathogens.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

K
kenc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Then it wouldn't matter.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, I am told that it would matter. I believe it was Lusk who told me chicken feathers are protein but the type of protein that are not digestible by fish. If there, they would be considered a filler.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave,

I think Kenc's concern was if it was cleaned before it was added to the feed as when he said,

Quote:
"If so, do they clean the feathers before it is made into feed?"

Sounds like you're right but all the feed manufacturers add feather meal don't they? I see one supplier of feather meal advertises it as 80 percent protein. I'm thinking that ground up feathers, but could be wrong.

I've got a friend who researches fish feed at Purdue University, Dr. Paul Brown. I'd be curious to see what he thinks of adding feather meal. I'll post it here.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/04/13 08:53 AM.

K
kenc Offline OP
OP Offline
K
We have a friend that grows chickens for Tyson. By the time they are ready to be killed, they don't have room to turn around hardly and are standing in 3 plus in. of poop. Their bottom feathers are really soiled so I wondered if this would this would affect the taste. It does work wonders in a garden.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Here's what I got from Dr. Paul Brown of Purdue University who's main thing is the research of fish feeds:

When poultry, primarily chickens, are processed, there are two feed ingredients that result from the waste. Individual processors may or may not combine various fractions of the waste, but the basic 2 feed ingredients that can be dried, ground and sold as feed ingredients are poultry by-product meal and feather meal. PBP is generally considered a better quality ingredient, but feather meal has been used in a wide variety of diets for aquatic animals. Feather meal is a high protein ingredient, containing a high concentration of sulfur amino acids, methionine and cystine. Digestibility of feather meal is typically lower than other feed ingredients, often in the 60-70% range. Thus, feather meal is commonly used as a source of sulfur amino acids, not as a filler. Feather meal is typically a safe ingredient. It must pass all FDA/USDA rules and regs for use in animal feeds. I am not aware of any ill health effects caused by feather meal in animal feeds. If the question is about using feather meal as the sole nutrient input, I could not support that recommendation. But then, no single ingredient should be used as the only source of nutrients."

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/13 01:04 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It may be safe but is it really beneficial?

R
R
Dave it is my understanding that protein in fish feed is the highest cost ingredient,so imo it is beneficial from a price aspect along with taking away from the need to use fish meal.

NOAA had a really good article on aquaculture and feed a while back that explained the pressure the industry is putting on fish caught and processed into fish meal.Essentially it is a finite resource like all others and the aquaculture industry demands far exceed the sustainable supply.

I really should have saved the article,it really put things into perspective for a hobbyist like myself.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah but my point is that I have always heard that feather protein is indigestible by fish. In other words, if that is right, it is a scam.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
IMO there is a big difference in taste collor and texture in the flesh of a wild salmon/trout vs a farmed.
Also the farmed contains only 30-50 % of the healthy Omega3 fat, and I'm not talking about a poorly farmed Salmonid.
It dosen't mean it taste bad but surly different.
I hardly eat any other farm raised species living seaside you get wild caught, but wild caught salmon are far between, and hard to come by unless you catch it your selfe around here.(now days)

Suplemental feeding in "natural" ponds, are different than intensive feeding in chages/pens/raceways a diverse (natural) diet gives the natural variation on the fish.

cheers

PAUL
R
R
From my research I feel it varies by species as to what they can digest or utilize from the feather meal.I found studies that said digestibility was pretty much nothing on up to 60-70% from the Dr. Cecil quoted.

It is sort of like the PB phrase"it all depends"

Each study was with different fish under totally different conditions.

If it is used as the sole source of protein,then I agree 100% with you in it being a scam................but I also feel it has it's place in formulations for some fish.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Yeah but my point is that I have always heard that feather protein is indigestible by fish. In other words, if that is right, it is a scam.

60 to 70 percent digestible vs. other proteins is not indigestible.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Food for thought (no pun intended): There are no specific species diets for bluegills, yellow, perch, and largemouth bass. Many fish farmers that are rearing these species intensively for the food market are complaining about the problems they are having with the feeds on the market that are basically trout diets. They're seeing fatty livers, poor dress out, and even poor growth performance.

Personally I've seen shorter life spans on largemouths in a high density pond fed almost exclusively an artificial diet. They are also more stressed in the winter.

Ponds with lower densities of fish where these species can and do get other natural feed may be different.

Recently in our north central aquaculture region (NCRAC) there has been a call for papers for some intense university study with these three species and issues with artificial feed.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/13 11:55 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, I don't understand your response to my post. Can you take this further?

Thanks

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Cecil, I don't understand your response to my post. Can you take this further?

Thanks

As in the above post or on the fact that feather meal is not completely indigestible as you contend?

A
Lunker
Lunker
A

PAUL
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
re NOAA Aquaculture, wow lots there

for example
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/aquaculture/faqs/faq_feeds.html

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
for example
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/aquaculture/funding/funding.html

financing for aquaculture, high priority, it is last year, but now its this year

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks Paul. So, it appears that feathers are abundantly available and "they" are searching for a use. The conclusion is that feather meal is not suitable for fish.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, I just didn't understand the post. Maybe I'm getting too old to understand complex ideas.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/14/13 08:35 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Dave Cecil was referring to his Quoted response from the Dr. Basically saying chicken feathers ARE digestable not INdigestable. And in some cases up to 60-70%

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Digestability of proteins and possibly other nutrients in chicken feathers depends of how the feathers are processed as per Dr. Mark Griffin from Purina. Proper processing including correct temperature increases digestability.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
So would the processed feathers be categorized as protein on the bag's label?

Also, has anybody bought any fish food yet this year? I was curious if the prices had changed. I'm glad my CNBG don't like milk.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 01/14/13 10:23 AM. Reason: another question

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, but the conclusions, as I understood them, from the article that Paul(andemann) posted don't go very far in agreeing with that idea.

I personally wonder if the high cost of Menhaden might influence the need for a more affordable/marketable option. Something like Hershey Kisses now being made of corn syrup instead of chocolate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Tinylake - 06/08/24 05:00 AM
Fry based on dates?
by FishinRod - 06/08/24 12:28 AM
Fry Identification
by Snipe - 06/07/24 10:43 PM
What kind of Moss is this
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 09:25 PM
New Owner with grass question.
by FishinRod - 06/07/24 09:14 PM
New pond owner in NWFL