Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
The lack of any new TX state records for LMB however, tends to make me believe the results are almost completely forage based. When Fork filled, there was unlimited forage for an incredibly small LMB population. Now, years down the road, Lake Fork produces hundreds of 10 pound LMB annually, and almost on a daily basis. But few are over 13 pounds. The competition for forage has increased, so the true monsters have to fight more for food.

With the loss of water at Fork and Falcon last year, and the subsequent refilling, I believe the next several years will show a tremendous number of new trophy LMB. Tilapia at Falcon, and shad at Fork drive the food chain, and I know for a fact that Fork has roaming schools of shad that literally black out a graph.

Reviving an old thread, but I think I got the above statement half right. I've fished and watched Lake Fork a lot this year, and the number of XXL LMB have increased dramatically. Bob's original post was basically about genetics vs. opportunity, but strange things have happened at Fork. Yellow Bass, shad explosion with the water level rise, and LMB range.

These fish (Yellow Bass) have thrived at Fork and suddenly LMB in the 13 to 15 pound range have started rolling in. Shad populations are very strong also. But, what's interesting is that the larger LMB are being caught off shore. Fork's historically been a stump filled reservoir that offered great protection to the larger fish. But, they seem to have moved to where the forage is, and have grown accordingly. It's not uncommon for these LMB to be caught in 25'-35' of open water. Quite a change from the historical range of these fish.

So, at least to me, forage is king and it trumps both cover and genetics. I think if I was starting a new pond, I'd be inclined to overstock forage, wait a little longer to stock the best genetic LMB in could find, and then get larger, but fewer fish. All this has me thinking that I'll add shad to the mix next Spring, and hope I see the same results.

The next few years will tell, but I think LMB in the 17 to 18 pound fish will start showing back up at Fork.

AL