thomasmgp: Have you read any of Bob Lusk's books, they are listed for sale elsewhere on this site. I would recommend "Basic Pond Management" as well as "Perfect Pond, Want One", as starters. In these books, and elsewhere on this forum in many blogs is what is a generally recommended stocking plan. Generally, although it varies by geographic area, you start with fathead minnows as soon as you have enough water to keep them alive, then later adding various sunfish like bluegill, red ear, etc., then even later largemouth bass. Current thinking is that adding channel catfish doesn't necessarily improve the other species in the pond, generally also they do not generate a reproducing stock of catfish. Most people stock catfish only if they like to fish for them or eat them, and do so on a put and take basis. Put in 100, catch many of them and then restock. Also the general thinking is that once a channel catfish is caught it should be removed because they get hookshy very fast. I think you have already been talked out of stocking Crappie so I won't comment on them, but I agree they have no place in a small lake or pond that is trying for a balanced fishery or a trophy largemouth lake.

Last edited by Bing; 12/11/12 05:31 PM. Reason: made a mistake in the third word. So much for not re reading before posting

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,