What do you mean by goals I want from the pond? I want big fish isnt that everyone's goal? Id like to provide some nice spawning areas for the fish as well. I want this pond to last forever. It will be stocked with LM Bass, Black Crappie, and probably 3 more species of Panfish (Bluegill, Shellcrackers, and Redbreast) most likely. And some crayfish for the bass to munch on. I keep hearing stuff about flathead minnows. Sounds like they might be good eatin for my crappie so might throw some of those in as well.

Weather here is always usually warm. Right now im outside watching them clear in shorts and a t-shirt. It can get cold but never long enough for it to actually freeze. My uncle has 2 ponds nearby and they have been there for 50 years and I think he said they have had ice maybe once or twice but never thick enough to actually walk out on. Summers on the other hand are brutal. 100+ temps and 200000% humidity. Thats why I want as much shade/cover as possible. Rainfall is iffy. This year it rained literally every day from March through August. Last year we had a drought. How do I prepare if we get hit with another Noah's Ark amount of rain? Im not worried as much about lack of rain because of the natural springs below.

Also back to cover. If I go with plastic pallets will that be better? Since there wont be any overhanging trees will probably have to plant some willows and will search for other things to plant that will hang over the pond and provide cover. Just wish I could have some cypress trees. Also this place sits on top of a natural spring and the water table isnt very far below. I think my dad said maybe 5 feet. So once they start digging it wont be long before we have water. Should I worry about my pond filling up before I can set up my structure? Once they hit water should I halt work until I can get everything in place? Obviously every pond is different but I dont want them to be digging one minute and then 2 hours later the damn thing has filled up with water.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 12/10/12 02:00 PM.