I have a pre 64 Win 94 in 30-30 that I seldom shoot anymore. My 14 year old Grandson shot at a doe with it a month ago and missed. He actually reloaded his own 170 grain bullets before the hunting season. But then, he's been reloading since he was about 7 years old. He has talked me out of the thutty-thutty but can't haul it home until I have dimes on my eyes.

I also have a Win 1873 in 38-40 with some really old factory ammo. I actually killed a deer with it about 30 or so years ago.

Other than the Colt Python (my sweetheart) I don't have any modern guns. Most are older non modified military 30-06 shooters and some old Jap Ariskas that I never shoot. The neatest one is a Swede in 6.5x55 mm. Great gun with a great cartridge.

I killed my first deer in 1967 with a brand new Marlin 30-30. It was a mule deer in Northern Arizona. I wish I had kept it but traded it to my Father in law for a Model 1917 Eddystone Arsenal in 30-06. I modified and scoped it. It has been my real go to gun for hunting every since and has taken elk, antelopes, pigs, whitetail and mule deer throughout several States. OK, toss in a couple of "feral" dogs.

I may have a South Texas mule deer hunt coming up so I have to start practicing at longer ranges.

I also have 7 or 8 pistols but, like Quigley, have just never had much use for them.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/04/12 02:38 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP