Originally Posted By: submarine
I plugged the pump up just to see if it would short out since it's been in the water for about 4 months now. It works great as for water flow. Is there some other reason I shouldn't use it? I have it on a tripod I built out of PVC pipe about a foot and a half under the water line. I spliced the cord and used well pump cable to the bank. I also heat shrinked the splic and put it in a PVC tube with a cap on each end and filled the tube with neoprene rubber caulk used for fish tanks then epoxied the ends where the cords come out.

I cant find anything suitable for DIY fix for this type of underwater splice. PVC will expand and contract at different rates than epoxy, therefore breaking any seal you thought you may have had. That was your first mistake. Your solution is just plain dangerous eek

A qualified/licensed electrician who is "On Site" could evaluate what you are trying to do and may offer a solution. If they have ever worked with this type of splice, they will know what and how to do this. (they do make stuff for this, but ya need to be qualified to select the proper materials/components)

There is a time/pressure relationship here when dealing with under water electrical. The splice Must be considered Hermetically Sealed for long term service under water. Time is obvious, pressure is considered how deep the connection is submerged in water, and at what elevation with regards to sea level. Some of these splice kits only offer 24-48 hours of service at 3 feet deep at sea level. Get where I am going with this wink

Doing this splice correctly will probably cost much more than a new pump already set up for this type of service. Depending on hourly rate, ya could be looking at 300.00 to 400.00 for materials and labor.

Sorry sub, some things you should leave up to qualified professionals.

You can survive many DIY mistakes. Electrocution is not one of them!!!

Take care smile

Last edited by JKB; 10/08/12 05:51 AM.